Wednesday, June 29, 2005


Dianne S. Hire is the author of Quilters Playtime, Games for Quiltmakers and editor of Oxymoron a collection of absurdly logical quilts as well as an international award winning fiber artist.

Join us for the fun and book a class with Dianne for your guild by contacting her at a l t e r n a t i v e s 2@ b l u e s t r e a k m e. com.

June 1985 to Present

Award winning fiber artist and international exhibitor, Hire attended Vanderbilt University and received her BA from Tennessee Technological University (English major and Philosophy Minor). She lives with her two best friends --- husband, Terry, and Maine Coon Cat, Sir Hilary Hire --both of whom love fiber and strings in quilt form. Before moving to Belfast, Maine in 1981 she was a Couture Dress Buyer and never ever considered quilting to be a possiblility for her life.
This is Dianne's artist statement from her Class brochure:

Although enchantment with fabric, seems to have always been a part of my life, I began my quiltmaking journey in 1985.

Today, I look back at the development and exploration of my creative process. Even in 1985, the adapting of tradtional time honored designs and techniques was significant. Somehow, even then, I experimented, finding my own way, my own song, my own work within tactile dimensions. From that moment on, this became my Hard 'n' Fast Rule" Find out the rules and determine a way to break them.

I honor diversity.
I celebrate new approaches.
I challenge concepts.

To stretch the rules and locate fresh boundaries is my desire. By approaching quiltmaking this way, I embrace technical skills while not allowing techniques to overshadow image.

I am a colorist who intuitively responds to the joyful way colors intermingle. I require vibracy to speak out but never shout -- yet boldly sing. That song is interpreted in fiber, strings, strong design and intense vitality of color.